keep your pets and marijuana products away from each other

Did your pet get into your stash? Take a deep breath; the problem is a bit more common than you think. If your pet accidentally gets into your herbs or edibles, follow the steps below.

Contact Your Vet

The most important first step to take is to contact your vet. He or she will likely want to know how much your pet ingested, and how your pet is acting. Try to give information to your vet that is as thorough and accurate as possible; let them know how potent your edibles are, how much your pet ate, and whether you notice any worrying physical symptoms like drooling or heavy breathing.

You’ll also want to make sure your pet didn’t eat pieces of the container that your edibles were stored in. If your pet accidentally ingested any plastic, that can be much more problematic for them than the actual marijuana itself. The same goes if your pets eat an edible made with chocolate, as chocolate can be extremely toxic to both cats and dogs.

Monitor Your Pet

pets and marijuana don't always mix
Make sure to keep your stash away from your pets.

If your vet determines that your pet doesn’t need to go in to be checked, find a quiet, calm spot where they can sleep off the effects. Your pet will likely be disorientated and confused, so do everything you can to make them feel safe. Let them eat, sleep, and drink, and keep an eye on them until the effects wear off.

To prevent this from happening again in the future, always make sure to keep your marijuana products out of the reach of both pets and children.

While improper ingestion of marijuana can be troublesome for pets, there are ways for pets and marijuana products to cohabitate safely. Contact us to learn more about our selection of CBD products made for pets; pets dealing with anxiety or pain can benefit from the products at our dispensary.